Driscoll wedding2When a Catholic was married outside the church and wants to be married in a valid Catholic Ceremony it is called a Convalidation.

The Catholic Church requires by Canon Law (the law of the Church) that Catholics enter into marriage by free mutual consent that is witnessed in a church by an authorized bishop, priest, or deacon and at least two witnesses.

Sometimes this does not occur for different reasons.  A Catholic might marry outside the Church and doesn’t realize that these requirements exist.  They could be waiting for an annulment or one or both partners might not have been active in the church at the time of their marriage.

Convalidations are sometimes referred to as the “blessing” of a marriage.  It is important to realize that a convalidation is not the renewal of the vows made previously but is a new act of consent by each spouse.

We very much want to help couples enter into a valid Catholic marriage.  Please contact the parish office at parishoffice@ollonline.org or call 248-623-0274 for more information.